On Thursday, December 8, 2022, the Board of Commissioners approved the 2023 budgets for the General, Water and Sewer funds. Highlights include:
No increase in the 2023 Real Estate Tax Rate
- Property Tax Rate is unchanged at 4.95 mills, including 0.0158 mills dedicated towards the Neville Island Fire Company.
- Despite the ongoing economic impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic, the 2023 Budget includes funds to continue all services and to pave and repair Township roads.
- The 2023 Budget includes increased funding for upgrades to Cottage Park and a portion of the Township’s American Rescue Plan funds have also been designed for this purpose.
- The 2023 Budget includes an increase in funding for concrete storm sewer repairs. This unseen portion of our roadway system prevents flooding and extends the life of the road surface.
No increase in Garbage Rates for 2023
- The Garbage Rate is $42.00 per quarter.
- This is year 3 of a 3-year contract with Waste Management awarded in October 2020.
- Rate includes unlimited weekly pick-up of household trash.
- Also included is free, bulky item pick-up and Household Hazardous Waste Recycling (by special appointment.)
No increase in the Water Rates for 2023
- The Water Base Rate remains $32.00 per quarter for 5/8” line and include first 3,000 gallons.
- Water Volume Rate after 3,000 gallons remains $9.11 per each additional 1,000 gallons.
- Township’s largest expense is purchase of bulk drinking water from West View Water Authority.
- In 2020 WVWA increase rates approximately 20%.
- The Township was able to absorb the rate increase by reducing costs and the use of grants for repairs and improvements.
- American Rescue Plan funds were dedicated for a capital improvement project to improve the connections with WVWA.
No Increase in the Sewer Rate for 2023
- The Sewer Base Rate remains $39.00 per quarter.
- Sewer Base Rate is $21.75 per 1,000 gallons used over the 2,000-gallon minimum.
- In November 2022, ALCOSAN announced a 7% rate increase charged to the Township to treat sewage for each year beginning in 2023 through 2026.
- The reason for ALCOSAN’s increase is a federal mandate to reduce sewage overflows from the area’s rivers – our source of drinking water and recreation.
- The 2023 Township Budget absorbs the ALCOSAN rate increase to treat sewage without a customer rate increase; however, less funds are available for repairs and improvements.
- While the Township was able to avoid a rate increase for 2023, customers should anticipate future rates increase from ALCOSAN and an increase in Township sewer rates in coming years.
2023 Grants Funding
The Neville Township Board of Commissioners works diligently to obtain competitive grant funds that help the Township maintain and improve the infrastructure of the water, sewer, roadways, parks, and buildings. Grant funding helps reduce the expense to local tax and rate payers and invests in the Township for future generations. Recent grant awards include:
- $278,058 for the Grand Avenue and Gibson Lane Traffic Signal Improvement Project – 7th round of the Commonwealth’s Green Light-Go Program.
- $110,000 for Utah Waterline Replacement Project – Allegheny County Year 48 Community Development Program
- $550,000 for the Neville Riverfront Park – Redevelopment Authority of Allegheny County
- $220,000 for Public River Access / Riverfront Park Development – PA Fish and Boat Commission
- $30,000 for Active Transportation Master Plan – Redevelopment Authority of Allegheny County Active Allegheny Grant Program
View or Print a Copy of the 2023 Budget: Neville Township 2023 FINAL BUDGET