Print a copy of the LIHWAP Information Flyer here: LIHWAP Flyer
What is LIHWAP?
The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program
(LIHWAP) is a temporary emergency program to help lowincome families pay overdue water bills. LIHWAP is a grant. You
do not have to repay it.
To receive help…
• Apply starting January 4, 2022.
• You don’t have to be on public assistance.
• You need to have an unpaid water bill.
• You can either rent or own your home.
How does LIHWAP work?
LIHWAP Crisis grants may be available if you have an
emergency situation and are in jeopardy of losing your water
service. You can receive one Crisis grant for your drinking water
service and one Crisis grant for your wastewater service, up to
Crisis situations include:
• Past-due water bills.
• Termination of utility service.
• Danger of having utility service terminated (received a
notice that service will be shut off within the next 60 days).
How do I apply?
- Apply online at www.compass.state.pa.us.
- Request an application by calling the Statewide Customer
Service Center at 877-395-8930 or call PA Relay at 711 for
the hearing impaired.
• Applications are available at your local county assistance
- To apply, you will need:
• Names of people in your household;
• Dates of birth for all household members;
• Social Security numbers for all household members;
• Proof of income for all household members; and
• A recent water bill.
- Who is eligible?
You may qualify for a LIHWAP grant if:
• You must have an overdue water bill
that you are responsible for paying.
• Your household income meets the
following income guidelines:
After your application is processed, you
will receive a written notice that will tell you
if you qualify. If eligible, it will tell you the
amount of your grant.
- INCOME GUIDELINES
Household Maximum Annual
1 $ 19,320
2 $ 26,130
3 $ 32,940
4 $ 39,750
5 $ 46,560
6 $ 53,370
7 $ 60,180
8 $ 66,990
9 $ 73,800
10 $ 80,610
Each Additional Person
Add $ 6,810