ATTENTION RESIDENTS: You can now pay your municipal bills online! To pay online visit the link below, search using your account number. Click the appropriate entry to add the item to your cart and checkout.
The Township of Neville provides all residential, business and industrial customers with public water and sanitary sewer services.
Public drinking water is purchased in bulk from the West View Water Authority and conveyed through municipal-owned water lines directly to Neville customers.
Sanitary Sewage is conveyed through Township-owned and maintained lines and lift stations for treatment by the Allegheny County Sanitary Sewage Authority (ALCOSAN).
UTILITY BILLING BASICS
- Combined water, sanitary sewage and garbage bills are mailed to all residential customers on a quarterly basis.
- Your single bill covers the cost to purchase and distribute treated drinking water, to convey and treat sanitary sewage and for weekly household waste pick-up and special pick-ups for hard-to-recycle and dispose of bulk items and household hazardous waste.
- You will not receive separate bills from West View Water Authority, ALCOSAN, Waste Management or any other authority or agency for these services.
- Full payment is due 15 days after the date on your bill.
- Failure to pay in 15 days results in a past due notice that includes a 5% penalty added to your account.
- Accounts 30 days past due will receive a written shut-off notice.
- Customers who fail to respond within 10 days of the date of the shut-off notice by making payment in full will have their water service shut-off.
- Once a crew responds for shut-off, a $75.00 fee will be assessed to restore water service and a customer must be present to reconnect service. Crews cannot accept on-site payments.
- The Township accepts cash or check. Credit card payments can be made on-line only.
- If paying by cash, please bring exact amount. No change is available at the Municipal office. Overpayments will be credited towards the next billing cycle.
- Monthly payments are accepted to help budget for your quarterly bill.
- Customers whose service has been shut-off for non-payment or due to a vacant structure are still required to pay a minimum monthly charge for access to public utility services.
YOUR RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITY AS A CUSTOMER
Please find the following information as a guide to commonly asked questions and to provide basic information on utility services. The information is general in nature and specific questions or service concerns should be addressed by contacting the Township at 412-264-1977.
The Township Business Office is located at 5050 Grand Avenue, Neville Island, PA 15225-1326.
After regular business hours and during weekends and holidays, emergencies may be reported by calling 911.
APPLICATION FOR SERVICE – OPENING AN ACCOUNT
All customers requesting water and sewer service must complete an application for each account requested. The application is a request for service and is subject to approval by Neville Township.
Application must be made in person at the Township office and include a deposit and proof of identification via driver’s license, legal identification or corporate letter of responsibility.
If you have a prior balance on another Township account, that account must be paid in full before service for a new account can be established.
All applicants requesting water service, including landlords and tenants are required to pay the deposit in full as per the current rate schedule.
This deposit must be paid at the time the application is made.
READING THE WATER METER – OPENING AN ACCOUNT
For all new accounts, the actual water meter must be read by Neville Township. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide the access to the water meter for the required reading. Water service will be terminated for failure to provide access to obtain the actual meter reading.
SCHEDULING A SERVICE CALL
Neville Township requires a minimum of twenty-four (24) hour notice to provide water service for an existing connection.
CLOSING YOUR WATER SERVICE ACCOUNT
It is the customer’s responsibility to make arrangements to close an account. Access to read the actual meter is required to close an account. Water service is turned off at the time of a final reading unless a new customer has applied for service. It is advisable that arrangements be made at least twenty-four (24) hours in advance/ You must provide a forwarding address for all final billing.
HOW IS YOUR WATER BILL CALCULATED?
Commercial and residential customers receive quarterly bills for January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1. Industrial customers are billed monthly.
Bills are based on actual physical meter reading, a remote reading or an estimated reading if access is not possible.
THE WATER AND METER READINGS
Commercial and residential water meters and related remote-reading devices will be furnished and installed by the Township. Water meters are the property of the Township. Customers are prohibited from tampering or removing the water meter, or any equipment belonging to Neville Township. Customers have the responsibility to provide access to the water meter; to keep the meter free from obstructions and to prevent damage to the meter or other equipment.
ESTIMATED WATER BILLS
If a meter reader is unable to gain access to read the water meter or unable to obtain a remote reading, an estimated reading will be established by the Township.
ACTUAL WATER METER READINGS
If your property has a remote reading device, you should be aware that the actual water meter and the remote device should be synchronized. If there is a discrepancy, you should contact the Township immediately. Actual water meter readings are required on at least an annual basis.
NOTICE OF WATER TERMINATION – DELINQUENCY
Customers who have failed to make payment for water service by the required payment date will received a written termination notice.
Customers receiving a termination must make immediate payment of all outstanding charges prior to the date of termination. Once a crew responds to initiate a termination, an additional charge will be assessed to your account.
Property owners will receive a copy of all late and shut-off notices for any tenant of their property.
DISPUTE RESOLUTION PROCESS
Customers with questions regarding the accuracy of your utility bill, should contact the Township immediately.
- The Township will inspect the water meter and other municipal-owned equipment. There is no charge for this service call; however, it must be scheduled during regular operating hours (Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm).
- The Township will arrange for the independent testing of a meter: If found accurate, the customer will be billed for the cost of testing the meter.
WHEN CAN YOUR WATER SERVICE BE TERMINATED?
Neville Township can terminate your water service for any of the following reasons:
- Non-payment of your water bill or required deposit.
- Tampering with the Township’s water meter or other equipment or stealing water service.
- Refusal to provide access to read the actual water meter or inspect Township equipment/
- Violation of the Rules and Regulations governing water service.
- Misrepresentation or fraud on application for service.
- When there is a water leak causing damage.
INTERRUPTION OF WATER SERVICE DUE TO EMERGENCY
Neville Township shall have the right to turn off the water supply in the event of a water main break or any other emergency. The water supply may also be temporarily shut off in order to make necessary repairs, water connections, tie-ins or any other required work. When an emergency exists, the Township’s first concern is to minimize any potential damage and to restore water service. Under these circumstances, notification may not be possible.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I HAVE NO WATER!!
- Check your valves at the sink or area where there appears to be no water.
- Check the main valve at the meter setting, making sure the valve is open properly.
- Check with neighbors. Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?
During the winter months, make sure the areas near your service line entrance; meter setting and interior plumbing are properly heated. Using a hair dryer can sometimes thaw frozen water lines once cold drafts are eliminated. NEVER USE AN OPEN FLAME!
MY WATER IS DIRTY/RUSTY/DISCOLORED!
Water quality is affected whenever there is a disturbance to the water distribution system. The following are the most common causes:
- Water main breaks.
- Authorized use of a public fire hydrant, such as a fire.
- Unauthorized use of a fire hydrant, such as a construction company filling a tanker.
- Emergency repair work by Neville Township personnel, water line broken by contractors or replacing hydrants that have been damaged.
MY WATER CONSUMPTION IS REALLY HIGH…COULD I HAVE A LEAK?
- Check toilets by putting food coloring in the back tank. If the coloring comes through to the bowl, the toilet is leaking. Do this at night before going to bed and check it first thing in the morning to see if the dye appears in the toilet bowl.
- Check all fixtures installed after the water meter. A small, steady stream of water, 1/32″ in diameter, at an average pressure of 60 lbs per square inch, can waste as much as 18,500 gallons each quarter.
- Read actual water meter, at night after all water use for the day is finished and write the reading down. In the morning, before using any water, read the meter again. The readings should be identical. If the morning reading is higher, something was running during the night.
CROSS CONNECTION CONTROL (BACKFLOW) PROGRAM
As mandated by the Department of Environmental Protection, the Safe Drinking Water Act and other regulatory agencies, Neville Township has an active Cross Connection Control Program. Essentially, this is a Township monitored program to prevent the public drinking water supply from being contaminated.
PUBLIC FIRE HYDRANTS
Public fire hydrants are installed solely for the purpose of fire protection. Public fire hydrants are NOT to be used for filling tankers, filling swimming pools; construction needs or any other unauthorized use. If you notice someone other than a Township employee using a fire hydrant, you are to contact 911 immediate and report the theft.
SPRING AND FALL FLUSHING PROGRAM
Twice a year, (April and October), Neville Township flows the public fire hydrants throughout the water system. The purpose of this is two-fold; flushing of the distribution mains and inspection of the fire hydrants. Announcements of the system flushing dates will be publishing in the April and October Township Newsletter, included with your bill.
POOL CREDIT PROGRAM:
If you plan to fill a new or existing swimming pool this season, please be advised that residents must have the Township Water Department read the meter PRIOR TO and AFTER filling the pool and there will be a minimum charge for the additional meter readings. The Township no longer accepts any applications for a pool credit without verified permits and meter readings for the gallons of water used to fill the pool. Pool credit applications are available at the Township.
FORMS & OTHER RESOURCES:
- Pool Credit Form.2022
- Neville Township Annual Backflow Prevention Device Program Instructions
- 2021 Annual Drinking Water Consumer Confident Report
- 2020 Annual Drinking Water Consumer Confidence Report
- 2019 Annual Drinking Water Consumer Confidence Report
- Public Water Notifications 10.22.219 – 10.25.2019
- 2018 Annual Drinking Water Consumer Confidence Report
- 2017 Annual Drinking Water Consumer Confidence Report
- Why does my drinking water look cloudy sometimes?